Collaboration! The recommendations from the recent Joined Up Innovation report and the ACOLA Report (the role of science, research and technology in lifting Australia’s productivity) highlighted the important role of collaboration that drives success and prosperity. The recommendations are:
ACOLA – Improving collaboration in Australia, between businesses and between business and publicly funded research…effective collaboration to improve Australian innovation and impact.
3.1 Collaboration plays an important role in innovation, but is under-recognised.
3.2 Current measures to encourage collaboration are inadequate. New approaches are needed like the encouragement of dynamic clusters integrating small and large firms, research organisations and government.
Joined Up Focus on interconnections within our innovation ecosystem, and, improve knowledge and information sharing.
- Focus on interconnections within our innovation ecosystem
- Recognise that innovation occurs within a complex ecosystem
- Improve knowledge and information sharing
- Better gather, share and analyse data to give entrepreneurs, investors, researchers, policymakers and others the information needed to act and make quality decisions
- Develop a comprehensive, real-time ‘map’ of Australia’s innovation ecosystem
So what does this mean to you, your team and your organisation?
- If your role is to deliver successful innovation, consider your network, ecosystem and interconnections both within your organisation and externally. Are you part of a diverse innovation community, like Hargraves Institute, Amplify, or those creative centres in universities?
- If your role is not directly related to innovation, most likely you must deliver your objectives and innovation is an enabler everyday. Do you know who the innovative, creative people are, who are the connectors, the people who will help you to achieve your objectives?
- For both roles, the importance of data, analytics and real time sharing is becoming essential for success. The term BIG DATA has become a marketing term for service providers to sell analytics and programs. Consider SMART DATA, how you use what already exists, how to maximise the benefits at the lowest cost.
The next blog in this series will consider the importance of culture, both in your organisation and across your network.