In this Collaborative Circle, Hargraves facilitated it’s first Idea Management Leaders Forum, with leaders from 18 diverse organisations representing over 100,000 employees across corporate and government.
The hot topic was the introduction and ongoing operation of formal idea management systems.
Key messages for leaders responsible for idea management implementation was discussed, with insights summarised below.
- Ensure there is a clear understanding of value for stakeholders and the interrelationship of value across all stakeholders. A clear and common point of anchorage to determine value.
- Ensure KPI’s and priorities are aligned across relevant groups. Be clear on measures of success? Who owns the success? Ensure a clear path to success.
- Timing is everything. Hack perfection. Start and get moving before everything is perfect.
- Build a core team of positive and constructive participants.
- Have purpose and be sure to add meaning for your participants. Don’t forget middle management – ensure they have skin in the game.
- Make it look familiar. Imitation is the highest form of flattery.
- Don’t underestimate the adoption chasm between purchase and user adoption.
- Focus on what you can control, not the restrictions or distractions.
Does your organisation have a formal idea management system? Connect with us to learn more.
Written by Allan Ryan, Executive Director, Hargraves Institute